Sunday, September 30, 2012

I wish someone told me




‘I wish someone told me…’that writing is actually hard work.
Having been an avid reader all my life- actually can't even remember when I picked up my first book.Some of my first memories are not of stealing sweets and trying to spend more time playing or even watching more TV,like most of my classmates- they are of reading , reading and reading and consequentially getting scolded with the typical rants of " your eyes will get spoilt";"you will have to wear specs soon"; "if you studied so much- you would land into genius category"...
Books were my inspiration for writing as well, reading "The Diary Of Anne Frank", inspired me and my best friend to write our respective diaries-this was a competition and the loser would be the one who stopped writing first.Well, I absolutely was not ready to lose, so the diary(well, a suitcase of diaries by this time) continued well into my college and stopped only when I got married.

What happened to all those diaries- those numerous personal anecdotes ;the sweet sour memories which were penned down so faithfully;a reminder of so many friends, boyfriends,my interactions with them; my hates and my loves...ummm..well...I just burnt it all one fine winter afternoon in a fit of privacy concerns- "how will I ensure no one reads them in my new home"; "how do I store this trunk full of diaries".There were no easy to carry iPads; laptops which could conserve my memories without taking space and with just a password....
What is done is done
Yet, there always is a diary going on in some part of my inner subconscious...dialogues; incidents automatically get converted into "he said""she said" and story lines moving somewhere at the back-yet not getting time to pick up paper and pen- life happened with job, home and a baby...
Subsequently, got introduced to the world of blogging and decided to blog about my two passions; books and my baby- the internet has been a great help in answering a lot of baby questions and hope to make my blog one such site.
Readers, I digress, this part of writing has been relatively easy, since I was always writing from my heart and just about day to day happenings...

The writing which is hard is the discipline of writing, sitting with a pen and paper or on the computer writing a story...writing a novel.The outline is ready, characters are performing, yet the discipline to pen it down is the difficult part.My husband, who sees me reading whenever I have time, tells me that "You read so much, you MUST write, your ideas are great" - so inspiration is also there....yet, get a block...

With all this on my mind, saw the mail from blogaada regarding the WOW ...seems like a message from the gods; 
inspiration to write; 
a timeline- hence preventing procrastination; 
a topic- to surge ahead from my writers block
members - to read and give feedback

This is my entry for the WOW contest- looking forward to lots of comments and help in writing my novel..

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda
This post is a part of <a href="http://blog.blogadda.com/2012/09/28/write-over-the-weekend-wow-indian-blogs" title="WOW">Write Over the Weekend</a>, an initiative for <a href="http://www.blogadda.com" title="Indian Bloggers">Indian Bloggers</a> by BlogAdda




















No comments:

Post a Comment